INDIANAPOLIS (Fort Wayne’s NBC) — Attorney General Curtis Hill says his office will not go down without a fight. His office released a written statement just hours after four women – including a state lawmaker – announced plans to file a federal lawsuit against him.
The statement says attorneys from the Office of the Attorney General plan “to defend vigorously” Hill.
“The lawsuit is related to allegations that have now been reviewed four times,” the statement continues. “The investigations all concluded without any recommendations for further action.”
The women say Indiana’s attorney general drunkenly groped them during a party last year. They announced the lawsuit alongside their lawyers during a Tuesday news conference. The women’s lawyers said in October that they intended to sue Hill after a special prosecutor declined to pursue criminal charges against him.
Hill is accused of touching the backs or buttocks of a state lawmaker and three legislative staffers in March 2018 at an Indianapolis bar. Hill has denied wrongdoing and rebuffed calls from Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb to resign.
He faces an October hearing on possible sanctions from the state Supreme court, which could include up to disbarment as an attorney.
Below is a copy of the complete statement released by Hill’s office.
Attorneys from the Office of the Attorney General filed their appearances to defend vigorously the State of Indiana and the Attorney General in a lawsuit filed today captioned DaSilva, et al. v. State of Indiana, et al. The lawsuit is related to allegations that have now been reviewed four times. The investigations all concluded without any recommendations for further action.
This latest legal action will be addressed in the court and through the proper procedures as established by law.
Under Indiana law, the Office of the Attorney General shall defend all suits instituted against the state and its officials.