Garrett building fire claims two lives

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

 

GARRETT, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) — Two people are dead and one is injured following a fire in downtown Garrett.

KPC News reports that two individuals died in the fire and a third person was taken to a Fort Wayne hospital with injuries.

Garrett Fire Chief Ted Christensen said they received a call around 12:30 a.m. Monday regarding a fire in the 100 block of S Randolph St. When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the back of the building.

The brick building contains two businesses. Hall’s Sleeping Rooms, located on the second floor, contains eight sleeping rooms for rent. Christensen said the business on the first floor sustained heavy smoke damage, and a sign in the window indicated the business was having a going-out-of-business sale.

According to Christensen, the fire started in the living area, but the cause of the fire is still pending investigation. He said the identities of the victims will be released once family members are notified.

State Rep. Ben Smaltz (R-Auburn) gave the following statement on the incident: 

“My family and I are deeply saddened by the loss of two lives as a result of a fire in Garrett. Our prayers go out to the families who lost a loved one and our thoughts are with them. We also pray for all others that were injured and affected by this tragedy. I want to thank all of the emergency responders for their efforts, without them there could have been further loss of life.”

Jazlynn Bebout

Jazlynn Bebout

More News

YOUR FORT WAYNE FORECAST

Connect with FW NBC
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content