Holiday treats could be dangerous for your dog

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

(NBC) – The holiday treats you buy your dog could be deadly.

One veterinarian says if you’re not careful, those treats could lead to serious illness and even death.

Treats like festive rawhides can fracture teeth, and they contain unsafe dyes and chemicals.

“Rawhides we used to recommend years ago for dental hygiene, now we’ve discovered that not only are a lot of these products depending on where they’re manufactured and shipped from, can sometimes have harmful chemicals on them from pesticides to other treatments. There were reports of formaldehyde on some,” Veterinarian Jessica Hodes said.

She has seen pets come in after having these types of treats, some causing choking hazards and others leading to death.

Vets want to remind pet owners to avoid feeding their dogs certain treats this holiday season.

Grapes, raisins and macadamia nuts are on the naughty list.

Never give your dog any desserts that contain Xylitol as a sugar substitute.

NBC News

NBC News

More News

Scroll to top
Skip to content