TOKYO (Fort Wayne's NBC) - The women's goalball team in Friday's final of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games clinched the silver medal.
Defending gold medalist Turkey proved too much to handle for the short-handed U.S. women’s goalball team.
The tournament’s leading goal scorer, Turkey’s Sevda Altunoluk, scored six of her nine goals in the first eight minutes as Turkey built an insurmountable lead and never looked back in the 9-2 victory.
The U.S. handed Turkey its only loss of the tournament five days ago during pool play but played the gold medal match without the services of leading scorer Amanda Dennis.
“Clearly, everybody saw that we did not have our full squad available. That was my decision. We had a pre-game injury and I’m always going to err on the side of caution for my athletes. We want to play and compete and beat everybody in the world, but never at the expense of health.”Jake Czechowski, U.S. Coach
Here is what the women's team record was:
- August 25th USA v Brazil 8:30 PM (JST) 7:30 AM (EDT) 4:30 AM (PDT) – Won 6-4
- August 27th USA v Egypt 7:00 PM (JST) 6:00 AM (EDT) 3:00 AM (PDT) – Won 10-0
- August 28th USA v Japan 1:15 PM (JST) 12:15 AM (EDT) 9:15 PM (PDT) (Aug 27th) – Lost 3-2
- August 30th USA v Turkey 7:30 PM (JST) 6:30 AM (EDT) 3:30 AM (PDT) – Won 4-3
- September 1st quarterfinals vs Russian Paralympic Committee 7:30 PM (JST) 6:30 AM (EDT) 3:30 AM (PDT) – Won 5-3
- September 2nd semifinals vs. Brazil 7:30 PM (JST) 6:30 AM (EDT) 3:30 AM (PDT) – Won 5-4 (extra throws)
- September 3rd gold medal match vs. Turkey 5:45 PM (JST) 4:45 AM (EDT) 1:45 AM (PDT) – Lost 9-2
The silver medal marks the 12th Paralympic medal in USA Goalball history and the seventh won by the women’s team.