Skip to Content

Jury finds man guilty on murder charges in 2020 killings of Mon Ong and Brooke Wendel

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne's NBC) - The jury began deliberating Thursday afternoon in the trial of 24-year-old Jamesley Paul who is charged with two counts of murder, two counts of felony murder and attempted robbery.

They began deliberating just before 4 p.m. and made their final decisions after 1:30 a.m.

He was found guilty on one count of murder, two counts of felony murder and attempted robbery. He was found not guilty on one of the murder charges.

Brooke Wendel died at the age of 23 in a shooting on Barnhart Avenue

Back in February of last year, police said Paul fired shots at a home on Barnhart Avenue when 23-year-old Brooke Wendel and 21-year-old Mon Ong were shot to death. 

RELATED: Shooting survivor takes stand, implicates Fort Wayne man in murder trial

Kyaw Hlang pleaded guilty months ago to pulling the trigger during what he described as a robbery.

A judge sentenced Hlang to 130 years for the crimes.

HLang said Jamesley Paul and Kerwins Louis came with him to the home but were under the impression they were there for a drug deal.

HLang said he alone was responsible for the killings.

But Meng Kem, who was also shot during the incident, testified that all three suspects stormed in with guns and opened fire.

Kerwins Louis' trial is expected to begin in September. He also faces two counts of murder and felony murder, along with a robbery and use of a firearm charges.

Author Profile Photo

Karli VanCleave

Karli VanCleave is a multimedia journalist at WPTA for the evening newscast. Karli is a Fort Wayne native and Indiana University Bloomington graduate.
Feel free to connect with her on Facebook (@KarliVanCleaveNews) and Twitter (@Karli_VanCleave), or if you have a story idea send her an email at kvancleave@wpta21.com.

Skip to content