FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) — Organizers with the Three Rivers Festival say this year's parade is canceled, but the festival itself is still a go.
Organizers said the Three Rivers Festival Parade—originally planned for July—just isn't possible.
"After discussions with the City of Fort Wayne and the Allen County Health Department, we have made the difficult decision to cancel this summer’s Three Rivers Festival parade," the board said in an email.
"While other events will be spread out for social distancing and safety measures, the parade is a bigger challenge with more than 50,000 people attending annually. In the end, the safety of our guests, parade participants, and volunteers comes first."
According to the festival's website, "more than 50,000 of our closest friends and neighbors line the streets of downtown Fort Wayne to witness the floats, hear the bands, and celebrate our community at the official kickoff to the Three Rivers Festival."
Last year's Three Rivers Festival was called off entirely.
The Three Rivers Festival is scheduled from July 9 through July 17.