Skip to Content

Holcomb announces Indiana will move to ‘stage 5’ of reopening plan

INDIANA (Fort Wayne’s NBC) — Governor Holcomb said in his weekly press conference that Indiana has made enough progress in tamping down the spread of COVID-19 to progress to "stage 5" of the state's reopening plan.

The mask mandate will remain in effect through Oct. 17.

The state will be removing size limits on restaurants, bars, nightclubs, gyms, conventions, museums and other large events.

Stage 5 goes into effect Saturday.

The Indiana State Department of Health reported 728 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday and 10 new deaths.

All of the new cases are from Tuesday tests, and the new deaths occurred between Sept. 16 and Sept. 22.

In the last 30 days, Indiana has noted 26,422 cases of the virus.

READ MORE: Indiana reports 728 new COVID-19 cases, 10 additional deaths

Stage 5 changes, as reported by our affiliate station WTHR:

  • Size limitations will be removed for gatherings and meetings. Organizers of events with more than 500 people will need to submit a written plan to the local health department.
  • Restaurants and bars that serve food can open at full capacity. Appropriate social distancing will need to be maintained. A bar section must have people seated.
  • Bars and nightclubs can open at full capacity. Customers must be seated and social distancing is required.
  • Indoor and outdoor venues can open at full capacity.
  • Senior centers and congregate nutrition sites may reopen according to FSSA guidance.
  • Personal services, gyms, fitness centers, and workout facilities may resume normal operations.
  • Nursing homes and assisted living facilities are required to provide visitation opportunities.

Here's some guidance of what the state previously said "Stage 5" means:

Kayla Crandall

Kayla Crandall is an Emmy award-winning journalist. She serves as the Social Media and Digital Content Manager at WPTA. Follow her on Twitter @KaylerJayne.

Skip to content