FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne's NBC) - An organization is looking to promote the importance of educating voters about our local government, registering eligible voters, and actually getting voters to the polls.
Project Civics's mission is to provide accurate, accessible, nonpartisan civics education to increase participation in our political system.
Co-founders, Lindsey Corwin and Brooke Klejnot, came up with this idea to get Fort Wayne residents more involved in our local government.
Klejnot says that most people know about the bare minimum about our federal government, but it's the opposite for our local government.
But how do you truly obtain and understand all the political information that you try to research before voting? Project Civics does all that work for you!
Through their social media platforms, Project Civics presents political information in a way that it's easy digestible.
With National Voter Registration day fastly approaching, Project Civics wants to register as many voters as they can.
During this COVID-19 pandemic, it's hard to get face-to-face interaction with voters. So, social media is key, but the organization still participates in pop-up events.
But when they get voters to register they also want them to actually vote.
According to state data, back in 2016 during the general election, in the state of Indiana, 4,829,243 Hoosiers were registered to vote. Out of that number, only 2,807,676 Hoosiers actually voted; that's about 58%.
Here are some important dates voters need to keep in mind:
- Voter Registration Deadline, Monday, October 5, 2020
- Absentee Ballot Request Deadline
- Request for a Postal Ballot by Thursday, October 22, 2020, 11:59 CDT
- In-Person Request by Monday, November 2, 2020, 12:00 p.m. CST
- Absentee Ballot Return Deadline, Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 12:00 p.m. CST
- In-Person Absentee Voting Available, Tuesday, October 6, 2020 - Monday, November 2, 2020, 12:00 p.m. CST
- General Election, Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Want to learn more about Project Civics? You can head to their website.