Skip to Content

Electrocution victim looks forward to face to face meeting with police officer who helped save his life

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00
Pablo Campos is on the road to recovery about six weeks after being electrocuted at a work site in Fort Wayne.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne's NBC) - There've been some tough times for Pablo Campos since June 25th, the day he was knocked unconscious at a work site where he was hit with a powerful electric shock.

Doctors weren't sure he was going to survive.

But he not only pulled through, he's now expected to make a complete recovery.

And he's excited for the chance to say thank you to a city police officer and others who came to his rescue in what he and his wife believe was a miracle from God.

Campos was operating a crane at the city's water pollution control plant when the machine contacted power lines, sending thousands of volts of electricity through his body.

It stopped his heart.

Officer Scott Lewis, first responder on the scene, moved quickly, and with the help of others, used a defibrillator and CPR to begin reviving Campos.

About an hour before that, Lewis told us a woman who he'd never seen before approached him in a church parking lot where he had taken a brief break, saying she felt compelled to pray for him.

He believes it was a divine appointment to prepare him for what he would soon face at the electrocution scene.

Campos and his wife also believe God was working behind the scenes of the chaotic event.

Campos is doing well, but the last six weeks or so have not been easy.

"The pain level has not been real bad. I'm not saying that there hasn't been nights, yeah, my foot might hurt a little bit, but you know what, I'm grateful. I didn't lose a limb or anything. I mean, most of all I still have the thing that I love the most, which is my family," he said.

"Tragedies like this, unexpected things you never imagine to be in the same position, so it's different. My main thing was to make sure he was going, just to be okay, which I didn't know for days," said Marymar Campos, his wife.

An event is planned for Saturday, August 1st, where the Campos family will meet Officer Lewis for the first time, and there will also be doctors, nurses and others present, who helped with the medical recovery.

Jeff Neumeyer

Jeff Neumeyer is a reporter for WPTA.

Skip to content