FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne's NBC) - The Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department says city pools won't open this summer based on guidance from the CDC and Indiana's plan to reopen the state.
The city said parks and trails remain open, and the public is encouraged to practice social distancing.
Park playgrounds have been closed over worries of spreading the virus, and they will be open on May 24. However, the parks department said the supervised summer playground program will be closed all summer.
The Lifetime Sports Academy is another program that was canceled for the season.
Some of the other summer changes include:
- Parks and Recreation Main Office (705 E. State Blvd.) opens to the public on May 18, but residents are encouraged to complete transactions over the phone (260-427-6000) or online (fortwayneparks.org)
- Fort Wayne city golf courses are currently open with social distancing practices in place
- Parks and Trails remain open, with the public encouraged to maintain proper social distancing
- Park Playgrounds will be open as of May 24; supervised summer playground program will be closed all summer
- The Lawton Skate Park will open May 24
- The downtown Community Center will open at 50% capacity starting June 14
- The Botanical Conservatory will open at 50% capacity starting June 14
- Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Youth Centers will remain closed
- Tennis, Basketball, and Futsal Courts will be open as of May 24
- Dog Parks are currently open for residents with Dog Park Memberships (memberships are available through the Parks and Recreation office)
- Pavilions will be open to limited capacity starting June 1; full capacity starting July 4
- Franke Park Day Camp: Week 1 programs (June 8-12) are canceled; following weeks are still scheduled, but may be canceled based on CDC recommendations
- Salomon Farm Camp: Week 1 programs (June 8-12) are canceled; following weeks are still scheduled, but may be canceled based on CDC recommendations
- Fort Wayne city pools will be closed for the season; Spraygrounds will open May 24
- The Lifetime Sports Academy program is canceled for the season
The parks department said are subject to change.
For a full list of summer schedule changes, click here.