UPDATE: NEW HAVEN, Ind. (Fort Wayne's NBC) - Safe Haven Baby Boxes, Inc. released a statement Wednesday night about the baby surrendered at a safe haven baby box in New Haven. "A healthy newborn baby was safely, legally and anonymously surrendered in a safe haven baby box at a fire station in New Haven, Indiana early today," the news release states. "The Safe Haven Baby Box was dedicated and made available to the public 51 days ago on December 31. The infant was immediately transported to a local hospital."
Safe Haven Baby Boxes founder Monica Kelsey says the newborn is healthy. “I want to personally thank this brave mother that carried her child to term, kept her safe, and then exercised her rights under Indiana’s safe haven law and surrendered her newborn in our box. This newborn is healthy and perfect," Monica Kelsey said in the news release.
According to the news release, the newborn "will be released from the hospital and placed in the custody of the Department of Child Services to start the standard safe haven surrender process for finding her a forever family."
This is the sixth baby surrendered in a baby box in the past two years in Indiana.
NEW HAVEN, Ind. (Fort Wayne's NBC) - Officials confirm with Fort Wayne's NBC that an infant was left inside the New Safe Haven Baby Box in New Haven Wednesday afternoon.
At around 4:30 p.m., the baby box was triggered to notify first responders that a baby had been left inside.
Safe Haven Baby Boxes are equipped with alarm systems to notify 911 and staff inside the fire station immediately. Safe Haven Baby Boxes also have heating and cooling features and lock as soon as the baby is placed inside
Monica Kelsey, the founder of the Safe Haven Baby box, confirmed this information with us.
Kelsey went on to say there will be a media conference held outside the New Haven Fire Department with more information on Thursday morning at 9 a.m.