FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) — William J. Ray was sentenced to over 50 years behind bars after he was found guilty of kidnapping a teen from a local bus stop and raping her.
Fort Wayne’s NBC previously reported that a 15-year-old was abducted from a bus stop at E. Rudisill Blvd. and Smith St. by William J. Ray on Nov. 29. Officers say Ray took her to a nearby shed and sexually assaulted her before taking her back to the bus stop.
On Friday, Ray was sentenced to 52 years behind bars. He was also issued a no contact order for the victim.
We previously reported that the girl was talking to a friend on her cellphone when she was abducted, and police say the friend called the girl’s mother and told her she was in danger.
The mother, Leila, arrived at the bus stop and yelled at Ray, and he released the girl and fled on foot. Leila then chased the man down and told officers where he could be found.
Fort Wayne’s NBC spoke with Leila, who said she took matters into her own hands before police arrived. Ray was transported to a local hospital for treatment prior his incarceration.
Leila took to Facebook later on in the day to discuss how scary incidents like this are.
“Today, in Fort Wayne Indiana somebody tried to take my baby in broad day light. They were comfortable to do it,” she added, “It can happen your child, it can happen to anybody’s child okay. Like, I am a damn good mom and I make sure I know where my kids are at, at all times, That’s why she was on her phone with her friend on FaceTime, and that’s how I got to get to her as fast as I did and that’s why she’s with me and she’s safe.”