Skip to Content

Day 3 of Fulton County bus crash trial features taped interview from pickup truck driver

ROCHESTER, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) – Jurors in Fulton County Thursday afternoon heard a videotaped interview with Alyssa Shepherd in the moments after she hit and killed three children trying to get on a school bus last year.

24-year-old Alyssa Shepherd

That interview provides some of the most compelling evidence yet in the Reckless homicide trial.

Alyssa Shepherd, 24, faces three counts of reckless homicide and other charges in the Oct. 30, 2018, crash.

All three died in the crash, which also badly injured a fourth child.

Fort Wayne’s NBC first reported on this story back in October of 2018.

Full story: Three students killed after crash at school bus stop in Fulton Co.

That interview mentioned was noteworthy, because in it Shepherd showed little emotion right after running over young children, she even seemed a bit detached from what happened.

Testimony about the incident in October of last year indicates Shepherd never really hit the brakes before impact.

The pathologist who examined the bodies says multiple blunt-force trauma injuries were the cause of death to two twin six-year-old boys and their nine-year-old sister.

Autopsy photos shown in the courtroom drew sobs from the mother of the kids.

During a state police officer’s testimony Thursday afternoon, an interview done with Shepherd the same morning of the incident showed she never asked how the kids were doing– she could be seen laughing at times.

To be fair, we don’t know if her demeanor on the outside of the interview reflects what she may have been feeling inside.

Shepherd maintains she saw flashing lights that morning but didn’t recognize that she was approaching a school bus or kids crossing the highway.

This is a court case that has captured much attention in this small community and has left townspeople somewhat divided over Shepherd’s actions.

We are told the biological father of Alivia Stahl, who died in the incident, recorded a message at the local radio station today, urging folks to stop lashing out at Alyssa Shepherd on social media.

Shepherd at one point this morning in court seemed to not be feeling well.

She held onto someone’s arm as she walked out.

No explanation why but after a three-hour delay this morning, one female juror was gone, replaced by an alternate juror.

The judge and lawyers in the case wouldn’t talk about it.

The schedule calls for the case to go to the jury sometime Friday.

Kayla Crandall

Kayla Crandall is an Emmy award-winning journalist. She serves as the Social Media and Digital Content Manager at WPTA. Follow her on Twitter @KaylerJayne.

Skip to content