Skip to Content

Trump administration moving to ban sale of flavored electronic cigarettes

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) – White House officials on Wednesday said they are taking steps to ban the sale of non-tobacco flavored e-cigarettes.

The announcement follows reports from health agencies across the nation that have highlighted concerns with vaping.

Last week, Indiana’s Department of Health said the state recently recorded its first death related to e-cigarette use.  It said it was investigating 30 possible cases of severe lung injury tied to vaping.

Across the nation, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say more than 215 cases of severe lung injury linked to vaping have been reported. At least six deaths linked to the vaping-related respiratory illness have been reported.

“The Trump Administration is making it clear that we intend to clear the market of flavored e-cigarettes to reverse the deeply concerning epidemic of youth e-cigarette use that is impacting children, families, schools and communities,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. “We will not stand idly by as these products become an on-ramp to combustible cigarettes or nicotine addiction for a generation of youth.”

The administration will also take enforcement action if it finds e-cigarette makers are intentionally targeting children, Azar said.

The guidelines in development are likely to be finalized in the next few weeks.

Jonathan Shelley

Jonathan Shelley is the news director at WPTA TV, which he joined in 2016 following nine years in a similar role in New Orleans and previous news management positions in Oklahoma City and Las Vegas.

Skip to content