BUTLER, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) – The Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration is seeking answers about a frightening incident at a DeKalb County factory Thursday.
An employee was hospitalized in Fort Wayne, after multiple sources say he suffered an electric shock on the job.
The accident took place around 1:30 pm Thursday at DeKalb Molded Plastics.
Parkview Health confirmed mid-day Friday that Larry Griffin Jr. remained in critical condition.
Police say at the time Griffin was working on a piece of machinery.
Butler police got a call that there was a man down, and indeed, when medics arrived the worker was unconscious.
Emergency responders picked him up and moved him away from the area where he was found on the floor.
Information we’ve learned indicates Griffin was summoned to repair a machine that wasn’t working right.
“I believe he was responding to a maintenance issue on the piece of equipment that he was working on and it’s possible he may have been working on an electrical issue with the machine,” said Butler Police Chief James Nichols.
The company turns out custom molded medical devices and other products, including ones to help ensure roadway safety.
The GM of DeKalb Molded Plastics released a statement, saying, “The incident has been reported to Indiana OSHA as is required. At this point, no determination has been made as to the cause of this injury. Worker safety is our number one priority at DeKalb Molded Plastics. We take worker safety very seriously. Efforts are being made to support our injured team member and his family. We appreciate the efforts of the medics and others who provided emergency medical assistance.”
At the time of this report, it was not clear if Indiana OSHA had already sent out an inspector to try to interview possible witnesses, and to do a thorough review of the area where the injury occurred.
We reached out to family members of Larry Griffin Jr., but again, at the time of this report, no one was ready to offer comment about what happened.
We are waiting for IOSHA to release the safety record of DeKalb Molded Plastics in Butler.